Wednesday 3 July 2013

THE LITTLE EXTRA THAT SPELLS SUCCESS

THE HERO


Who's the hero? Who's the hero? - The hero of today is sir JOHN AKHWARI.


      The Mexico Olympics, 1968. It is late.The crowd has thinned.Suddenly there is a stir. JOHN AKHWARI of TANZANIA, the last contestant in the Marathon, is entering the stadium,five hours after the second-last contestant did.
       The crowd cheers as Akhwari stumbles in. A car of officials is behind him.He is injured,exhausted and barely able to complete the last nap around the stadium. The cheering spurs him on. He passes the finishing line with tired arms raised in agesture of triumph. Then with a weak smile Akhwari collapses.
       Though he did not win anything, Akhwari's name made Olympic history, with the immortal quote " MY COUNTRY DID NOT SEND ME 5,000 MILES AWAY TO START THE RACE. THEY SENT ME 5,000 MILES TO FINISH IT"


BEING A WINNER

         Everyone is not cut out to be a winner; everyone doesn't find a place at the top. But everyone does have the  CAPACITY  to reach himself or herself and  ACHIEVE. The crowd in the story above paid homage to the TENACITY and PRESEVERANCE of the hero. Success neds effort and preserverance . With a little extra effort , almost everyone can succeed.

                 Some people are quick to say,' I CANNOT' - They will not even try. Have you ever said, ' I cannot sing ', ' I cannot draw ','I cannot ....?'
                  ' I CANNOT ' often translates into ' I WILL NOT ' or ' I'M NOT PREPARED TO TRY ' .
The thought that took Akhwari to the finish line, five hours late but there nevertheless, was ' I CAN, I WILL, I MUST '. This attitude guarantees achievement and achievement builds POSITIVE SELF-IMAGE. A person with a good self-image is an asset to this world.

WHAT LESSON I LEARNT FROM THIS HERO?
            ACHIEVING is more important than winning.
                COMPLETE when you begin,whatever it takes to do so.
                When you take on a task,you are responsible for completing it. 



TAKE CARE

SWATI REDDY

Image source:  , 2 3 , 4, 5, 6


No comments:

Post a Comment